Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Impossible Prayer

The past few months my hands and heart have been full.  But full of good things.  Initially, I would not have thought they were all good, but in hindsight, I can see that they indeed were very good.

Last Wednesday at 6:45pm my stepdad died at the Centra Hospice House in Lynchburg, where he had been a resident since November 2011.  Richard had surpassed all expectations and predictions that the medical staff had made, as he moved to Hospice House with ony 3 months of expected life.  However, God had a plan for Richard, and until it was carried to completion, his days on earth would not come to a close.

I spoke at my stepdads funeral yesterday and it was difficult.  As long as Richard was still living, a part of my Mom was too.  She loved Richard unconditionally and to this day I can't understand how a woman could be so devoted to a man who did not return what was poured into him on a daily basis.

Richard was a man who was difficult to be around most of the time.  However, I beleive that God allows our lives to cross paths with others for a reason.  A Divine purpose.

I never had the chance to get to know Richard really well.  He and my Mom met in Florida where my parents had moved several years before.  My Dad died in 1999 and Mom and Richard married in 2004.  WHile I went down for the wedding, and had a few days to get familiar with my "stepdad", I didn't really get to know him until April 2011 after my Mom's Stage IV cancer diagnosis.

From the day that Mom was diagnosed, until the night she died, my husband and I were at her home every day.  I would leave work in Charlottesville, drive to their home in Forest, and spend the night.  I would leave their home the following morning at 6am and drive back to work.  Keith came over every evening and would either bring dinner or I would cook dinner for all of us.

It soon became apparent from the TV shows Richard watched, from the books he read, from the words that came out of his mouth, and from his total disregard for praying  and his refusal to even participate in the blessings at meal time, that he did not share my Mom's love for the Lord.

Keith and I were burdened for Richard.  We shared our concerns with my Mom, and she told us as well, that she also feared the same.  There was no way that Richard could have that sweet, saving relationship with Christ, and NOT demonstrate any Christ-like characteristics.  Nothing about him demonstrated that love for God.

So Keith and had Richard placed on prayer lists, and we had over a dozen different friends and family members try to share with Richard how different life could be with a relationship with Christ.  Richard wanted NOTHING to do with anything anyone tried to share, and he made it very clear that he was NOT going to listen to their foolishness.
I got mad.  So did my Mom, but her anger dissipated.  Mine did not.  It buried itself deep in the corner of my heart and stayed there creating a small root of bitterness.

I journal daily.....I blog when I want a more permanent record of what is on my mind and in my heart.  As I was reading over my journal entries from last August, when I was preparing what I wanted to share about Richard, I found the following entry on AUgust 19, 2011:

Mom knows that the cancer is winning the battle but she is still fighting.  She asked Keith and I if we would keep Richard at home as long as we possibly could after she was gone.  I told her we would, but I am not sure that I really meant what I said.  I don't know how Mom puts up wioth a man who never truly loved her or respected her.  Not the way a husband SHOULD.  Not the way Keith loves and respects me.

I know that I need to pray for a change in my heart.  And I need to pray for Richard.  It just seems like it's the impossible prayer. 

This evening I read the following in my devotions-  "On the day the Lord gave the Israelites victory over the Amorites, Joshua prayed to the Lord in front of all the people of Israel.  He said, "Let the sun stand still over Gibeon and the moon over the valley of Aijalon."  So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place until the mation of Israel had defeated its enemy." 

This passage of Scripture tells me one thing,,,,even the impossible prayer needs to be prayed.  Prayer released power and even as I pray the seemingly impossible prayer for Richard's salvation, I believe that with God all things are possible.

My Mom died 3 weeks later and Richard stayed at home until it was just impossible for us to provide for all of his needs.  God opened up a bed at the Centra Hospice House and in November we moved Richard in there.  At the time he moved in he ws given just 3 months to live.

What a picture of grace and mercy I saw as week after week Richard continued to do well.  I believed that God was extending Richards life for one reason only.....giving him time to come to Christ.  I felt that once Richard came to that decision, he would be taken home.  But I wondered just how patient GOd would be with a man who shook his fist in the face of the Almighty.

My friend, Pat, who had been a caregiver for my Mom and Richard, went with me often to visit Richard.  The first few visits, Richard was his usual self.  Crude, somewhat vulgar and asking for some girlie magazines!  Nothing had changed.

Each time I would visit with Richard I would let him know as I was leaving when I would be returning...we soon developed a very scripted dialogue that continued unchanged for many, many weeks.

ME- Richard, I will see you in a few days.
RICHARD- I may not be here when you come back
ME- Where are you going?
RICHARD- To hell if I'm not careful.
ME- Richard, hells is real, but so is heaven.  It's gonna be one or the other.  It's your choice.

 By March Richard's hard exterior seemed to be thawing a little. He would take my  hand when I came to visit.  He would ask about Keith and work.  He was interested in what we were doing.  This time when I was ready to leave our dialogue was a bit different:
ME- Richard, I'll be back in about a week.
RICHARD- I haven't been feeling well, so I'm not sure how much longer I'll be here.
ME- Where are ya going?
RICHARD- I think I'll see Dorothy.
ME- Richard, MOm's in heaven.  Are you ready for heaven?
RICHARD- I hope so
ME- Richard, you don't have to hope, you can KNOW FOR SURE.

I left it at that and called the hospice chaplin to let her know that RIchard seemed to be having a change of heart.

That night as I was doing my vdevotions I read Psalm 116"1,2  " I love the Lord because He hears my prayers for mercy.  Because He bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath."

God was not only working in Richard's heart, but he was working in mine as well.  That anger that I had allowed to fester  in my heart and grow into that root of bitterness....well I did a litle heart surgery that night and removed it. I knew that I had to look to Christ for perspective and for the power to forgive and for on.

God used Richard to teach me about forgiveness and hope....
I will never be able to forgive anyone any more than what I have ALREADY been forgiven.  God does NOT command us to JUDGE others, but He DOES command us to LOVE others. 

When I forgave Richard I was released from being a prisioner...I no longer had to keep my hands tightly clenched around that hurt.  And I was able to see CLEARLY the man my mother loved so dearly.

I realized that perhaps the truest grace is not to forgive, but to have never found fault.

Richard also taught me about the importance of holding on to hope.  All of those friends and family I mentioned earlier who shared with Richard...well, each of them planted a seed...each of them offered Ricahrd hope.  Each of them prayed that Richard would find that peace and comfort that can only come from a saving knowledge of Christ.  We never gave up HOPING for Richard.  Hope is FAITH in the future tense.

God surrounded Richard at Hospice House with godly, loving, caring people who were dedicated to making sure that his last months and weeks were as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

The last time that I had any real meaningful conversation with Richard was on May 12th.....just 3 weeks prior ro his death.  As I was leaving we once again went through our conversational dance.....
ME-  Richard, I will be back in a week or so.
RICHARD- I hope I'll be here
ME- Where do you think you're going this time?
RICHARD- To see Dorothy
ME- Are you ready?
RICHARD-  I sure am!!!!!

Thank you God......I left that afternoon floating on a cloud of joy.

I went to see Richard on June 2, but he was sleeping.
On June 5th I got a call from the hospice nurse telling me that Richard had entered the active dying phase.  Keith went over to stay during the day, and I called Brenda, Richard's daughter, and his sisters.  I went over after work and Richard was unresponsive.  I could shake his  shoulder and call his name, and his eyes would flutter open for just a few seconds before closing again.  He had not eaten or drank anything all day.

I knew Richard could still hear me, so I bent over his bed and talked to him.....
"Richard, you know heaven is real.  Mom is there waiting for you.....I truly believe that you finally got it settled.  But I just wanted to make sure........"  So I read 1 John 5:11, 12, I read Romans 5:8....for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God....I read Romans 6"23..for the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Chirst Jesus our Lord.....and I read Romans 10:13....for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

I told Richard I loved him and that he had fought a long, hard fight, but he could rest now.  I left his room with one final goodbye.."Richard, i will see you again..."

Richard died the following evening at 6:45pm just as I had pulled into the Hospice House parking lot.....I think Richard must have known I was coming and he wanted to leave before I had the chance to pester him again!!  I think he was in a hurry to see my Mom again!

Answers to prayers are divine, not human.  They come from heaven.  I will no longer think rationally when I pray. My God has not limits or boundaries.  From now on I will eagerly pray the impossible prayers knowing that God will answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment